Filipino Style Chicken Afritada Recipe
Chicken Afritada Recipe is a Filipino Style dish consisting of chicken, beef, or pork braised in tomato sauce with carrots, potatoes, and red and green bell peppers.
Chicken Afritada or Afritadang Manok is a type of Filipino chicken stew with tomato based sauced. Firstly, sautéing garlic and onion. Secondly, Do this by heating oil in a cooking pot then add onion and garlic until the onion softens. Lastly, It is ideal to use a pot with cover together with white warm rice this would be the best perfect for lunch, for instance.
Afritada has different names based on the main ingredients of the dish. The most common ones are afritadang manok (chicken afritada), afritadang baka (beef afritada), and afritadang baboy (pork afritada).
Chicken Afritada Recipe is frequently prepared in the hamonado style (with pineapple chunks). “Pineapple afritada” is the common name for this sweet variation.
You may be interested in trying out these Filipino chicken dishes:
- PININYAHANG MANOK RECIPE
- CHICKEN PASTIL RECIPE AND ORIGIN
- FILIPINO CHICKEN CURRY RECIPE
- HOW TO COOK YUMMY CORDON BLEU
- GINATAANG MANOK RECIPE
- Cut the potatoes and carrots into uniform size to ensure even cooking. Pan-fry them before adding to the stew to help them keep shape and from falling apart.
- If you prefer a thicker sauce, add about a tablespoon of tomato paste.
Above all, Usapang Foodtrip‘s Easy Chicken Afritada Recipe for you guys! Feel free to share any tips, suggestions or questions you might have about making Chicken Afritada in the comments below! Let’s keep the conversation going as we are happily cooking!
Filipino Style Chicken Afritada (Afritadang Manok) Recipe
- 1/2 small green bell pepper, cored and sliced into 1/2-inch thick strips
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, cored and sliced into 1/2-inch thick strips
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4 pounds chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1 small onion, peeled and sliced thinly
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 6 large Roma tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup frozen sweet peas thawed
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a pan over medium heat, heat oil.
- Add potatoes and carrots and cook, turning once or twice, until lightly browned. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Remove excess oil from pan except for about 2 tablespoons.
- Add bell peppers and cook for about 30 to 45 seconds. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Add onions and garlic and cook until softened.
- Add chicken and cook, turning on sides once or twice, until lightly browned but not cooked through.
- Add tomatoes and cook, mashing regularly with back spoon until softened and release juices.
- Add fish sauce and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover, and cook for about 20 to 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and sauce is thickened to desired consistency.
- Add potatoes and carrots and continue to cook until fork-tender.
- Add bell peppers and sweet peas. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until green peas are heated through and bell peppers are tender yet crisp.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.