Tosilog Recipe | Filipino Breakfast
TOSILOG recipe or TOCILOG whatever you may spell it, is one of the favorites when it comes to the Filipino Breakfast. Tosilog is one of those rice breakfasts we have in the Philippines where it is made out of tocino (a sweet fried pork), itlog (fried eggs) and sinangag (garlic fried rice) usually served with coffee. The name comes from the elements in the dish TO – from tocino, SI – from sinangag and LOG – from itlog and most of our breakfasts are named like such, some examples are Tapsilog (Tapa), Longsilog (Longaniza) and Hotsilog (Hotdog). It’s a really nice breakfast and definitely filling, I suggest you try it so you understand why Filipinos do this but be warned you might get addicted to it so eat with caution.
Preparing or cooking tosilog means making each of its components. You can make your own homemade tocino by following our tocino recipe. I added the link in the tosilog recipe below. Sinangag or Filipino Fried rice is quick and easy to make. There is also a link below, which will guide you on how to cook sinangag. I intentionally cooked the sinangag for the second time with the residue of the tocino so that it can be tastier. As for the sunny-side-up egg, I think that this is something that you handle.
I love to have tosilog for breakfast. However, there are times when I feel having this for lunch or dinner. Do you also like tocino? What dipping sauce do you like with it?
How to Cook TOSILOG
- Boil the water in a cooking pot.
- Once the water starts to boil, pour-in the cooking oil and add the uncooked tocino. Boil in medium heat until the water evaporates.
- Once the water completely evaporate, the oil will be left behind. Let one side of the tocino cook in oil for 3 minutes. Flip the tocino and cook the other side for the same time.
- Arrange the cooked tocino with the eggs in individual plates.
- Meanwhile, remove the excess oil in the cooking pot where the tocino was cooked. Heat the same pot and put-in the sinangag. Cook the fried rice for 1 minute while tossing. The residue from the tocino will stick to the fried rice making it more tasty.
- Arrange the fried rice with the tocino in individual plates.
- Serve with spiced vinegar.
- Share and enjoy!