Oily Beef Mechado (Mechadong Baka)
Usapang Oily Beef Mechado tayo mga ka-foodtrip! Ang Mechado ay isa sa mga confort food ng mga pinoy. Ito ay hango sa salitang “MECHA” noong panahong ng mga español. I-nadapt ito sa filipino language at tinawag na “Mitsa” that eventually was called “MECHADO“.
Hindi to mawawala sa mesa namin tuwing Bagong taon at Pasko. Hinahanda rin to sa mga special occasions like, fiesta, birthday, binyag, kasal at marami pang pamalakasang handaan. Talagang makaka 5-cups of rice ka kapag natikman mo tong Beef Mechado recipe na to!
Oily Beef Mechado is simply stewing meat in tomato sauce with potatoes, carrots and bell pepper. It is similar to Kaldereta or Afritada because of the base ingredients used.
Difference between Filipino Mechado, Afritada, Menudo and Caldereta
Afritada, Kaldereta, Menudo and Mechado are the holy trinity Filipino cousin. Potatoes, carrots, and bell pappers are almost identical, these are the few essential elements to give each dish a distinctive flavor.
- Afritada – type of dish made with chicken, pork or beef with tomato based sauced.
- Caldereta – It is a type of beef or goat stew cooked with tomato sauce and liver spread.
- Menudo – Traditional ingredients for menudo include liver, garbanzo beans, raisins, and bite-sized pieces of chopped pork. and on occasion Vienna sausages or hotdogs
- Mechado – Filipino-style beef stew made of larded beef chunks braised in tomato sauce with potatoes and carrots.
Oily Mechadong Baka (Beef Mechado)
- 2 lbs Beef chuck cubed
- 8 ounces Tomato Sauce
- 1 pc Large Onion
- 3 pcs Garlic crushed
- 1 cup Water
- 1 slice Lemon with rind
- 3 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 2 pcs Large Potato cubed
- 1/4 cup Toyo (Soy Sauce)
- 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 2 pcs Bay Leaves
- Salt to taste
- Heat cooking oil in a pan then sauté the garlic and onion.
- Put-in the beef and sauté for about 3 minutes or until color turns light brown
- Add the tomato sauce and water then simmer until the meat is tender. Add water as needed. Note this can take 60 to 120 minutes depending on the quality of the beef.
- Add the soy sauce, ground black pepper, lemon rind, laurel leaves, and salt then simmer until excess liquid evaporates
- Put-in the potatoes and cook until the potatoes are soft
- Wag madaliin! Makakakain karin 🙂
- Serve it with smile and super sarap na Rice! Share and Enjoy!